Fire Safety Tips
- Always use the proper type of holder for the candle.
- Never carry a lit candle.
- Place candles on a solid, level surface and only put candles where children and pets can’t knock them over.
- Never lean over a lit candle for any reason.
- Only burn candles, while under constant adult supervision and keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Keep candles a minimum of one foot in all directions from all flammable and combustible items. Place candles away from drafts and vents also.
- Always extinguish candles before you leave the house or before you go to bed at night.
- During power outages try to use flashlights instead of burning candles.
- Never use any aerosol cans around a lit candle.
General Safety Reminders
- Keep all wicks on your candles trimmed to ¼”. This will allow for proper and even burning of the candle.
- Keep the wick centered to allow for even burning of the candle.
- Never allow children to light candles.
- Remember that smoke alarms provide the earliest possible warning of a fire in your residence, but only if they are properly installed and maintained. Test your smoke alarms monthly and practice home fire drills with your family.
- Never use a candle to search in a confined space such as a closet or under the cupboards.